Audiobooks, audiobooks, audiobooks.
You are getting bored already.
But I can’t shut up. I can’t be stopped.
Allow me one more attempt to try to win you all over to the Way of the Audiobook.
If you’ve tried audio before and had a discouraging experience, I have two suggestions for you.
Suggestion #1: If you didn’t like the narrator, I behoove you to check out three or four books at once. You will know pretty quickly whether or not a narrator rubs you the wrong way; with extras, you can feel free to give up on one and try another at your leisure. An heir and a spare! Also, keep an eye out books read by the author – these aren’t always winners, for me, but most of the time they are pretty good.
Suggestion #2: If you find audiobooks to be tedious, patience-trying, too much of a commitment, then try a shorter book. After an interminable experience with The Memory Keeper’s Daughter in aught-eight, I keep a fairly strict 10 Discs or Under rule. Which I regularly break for Game of Thrones and Harry Potter. But anything outside of Westeros or Hogwarts, staying under 10 helps prevent boredom and keep me enthused and attentive.
A few weeks ago, The Boy asked me to request some audiobooks for him with the specific request that they should be short. You see, this Dear Boy of Mine, he has a goal of reading 30 books in 2013. Hazard of marrying me, I suppose. He’s a bit behind, however, and wanting to play catch-up. So I browsed my library’s newest audiobook holdings, checking the full record in the catalog for a disc number below 10, and found a slew of intriguing nonfiction titles. I added a few more fiction titles that would have piqued my attention if I wasn’t so attentive to my Overdrive bookshelf right now. If you are looking for a brief listen, here’s a list to get you started.
2) David & Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
3) The Longest Way Home: One Man’s Quest for the Courage to Settle Down by Andrew McCarthy
4) Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison by Piper Kerman
5) The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World’s Greatest Drinks by Amy Stewart
6) Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life by Steven Martin
7) Just One Day by Gayle Forman
8 ) Somebody Up There Hates You by Hollis Seamon
9) The Silent Wife by A. S. A. Harrison
10) Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan